I have been exploring roasting various vegetables in the oven to conserve their texture and flavour. This Roasted Flaxseed & Sugar Snap Peas amazingly delicious and very quick and easy to prepare. The flaxseed not only adds fiber plus a lot of nutrients to the dish, it makes a lovely presentation and adds an enjoyable nutty taste.
If you do not have flaxseed on hand you can substitute toasted sesame seeds.
- 200 g (2 cups) sugar snap peas
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) toasted flaxseed
- pinch (1/8 tsp.) of Sea Salt (optional)
- Place the rack in the oven at the highest position.
- Turn on the oven broiler.
- Wash the sugar snap peas, pat dry, and string the pea pods if the strings are tough.
- Place the oil in the bottom of a plastic bag, then add the peas.
- Close the bag trapping in an air pocket, and then toss the peas to coat.
- Spread the peas in a single layer onto a cooking tray lined with tinfoil.
- Broil for 2- 2½ minutes, turning partway through. You will see char marks on a few pods.
- Remove from the oven, transfer the pea pods to a serving bowl, sprinkle with flaxseed and salt; toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
Very high in iron, vitamins A, B6, and C
High in dietary fiber, manganese, magnesium, pantothenic acid, and thiamin
High in sugar