Last summer we had a large gathering at our cottage and I wanted to serve a dessert that was easy to prepare and serve, yet unique. I had tried my hand at grilled pineapple served with vanilla frozen yogurt the month before so it was at the top of my list. Many of the people coming to the gathering were not from Canada so I decided to add a Canadian twist — what could be better than a drizzle of genuine Canadian maple syrup made just down the road from our cottage?
The dessert was a big hit. 🙂 The beauty of it is that this recipe only requires a small amount of maple syrup. Its intense flavor pairs well with the sweetness of the grilled pineapple and the cool creamy taste of the frozen yogurt.
The pineapple helps to deliver a whopping 135% of Vitamin C. Low in sodium, cholesterol, and low in fat (fat at only 2.2 grams) with some respectable fiber (2.4 grams) and protein (2.9 grams) numbers. This dessert is definitely not diabetic friendly as it is quite high in sugar. Yet do not despair as it weighs in at just 202 Calories. Yum!
Not only is this dessert tasty and healthy — it is so easy to prepare that serving over 20 people was a breeze.
You can substitute honey for the maple syrup.
This can easily be plated directly from the barbecue.
- 1 large pineapple, peeled and cored
- 750 ml (3 cups) vanilla flavoured frozen yogurt
- 30 ml (6 tsp) maple syrup
- Cut the pineapple into 12 semi-circle slices approximately 2 cm (3/4 inches) in width (yielding in 2 halves per serving). This can be prepared in advance by placing in an air tight container or plastic bag, and then refrigerated]]ing.
- Pre-heat the barbecue to medium-high temperature.
- Lay the pineapple slices onto the hot grill at approximately 45 degrees to the grill bars.
- Grill for 1 minute.
- Rotate the slices 90 degrees and grill for another minute to create hash (#) grill marks.
- Flip the slices over, place at approximately 45 degrees to the grill bars, and grill for one minute.
- Rotate the slices 90 degrees and grill for another minute to create hash (#) grill marks on each pineapple surface.
- For each serving place 2 grilled pineapple pieces on a plate, add a scoop (125 ml - ½ cup) of vanilla frozen yogurt, then lastly drizzle 5 ml (1 tsp) of maple syrup over the top.
Very high in Manganese