This is a quick and easy fish fillet recipe that is easy to make and so delicious; it lets the natural flavour and texture of the fish come though. This recipe is great for fright night because the fish takes less than 5 minutes to prepare. Add a side salad or vegetables and you have a meal.
Salsa Verde, also known as Tomatillo Sauce, can be found in the Mexican section of your grocery store in a jar or can. It is a mildly-spiced green salsa made from the tomatillo which is a Mexican Husk Tomato. I rarely see tomatillos in my area of the country so rely on the jarred version.
One of the great things about Salsa Verde is that it typically has only 10 calories for every 30 ml (2 Tbsp). With its hint of lime juice, it pairs perfectly with white fish.
Be aware that every manufacturer has a different hot spice level so taste and adjust accordingly. Some have very little heat while other can be quite zippy. Some label the heat level on the jar and some do not.
Like steak, I prefer to let my fish rest for a few minutes so that the juices have an opportunity to stabilize. I find that I end up with a more flavourable and moist fish as a result.
Be aware that every manufacturer has a different hot spice level so taste and adjust accordingly.
- 2 firm white fish fillets - about 150 g each (1/3 lb) (cod, haddock, tilapia, or any other firm white fish)
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) Salsa Verde (also known as tomatillo sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit (175 Celsius).
- Lightly oil the surface of a baking sheet (so the fish does not stick upon removal).
- Check for and remove any bones.
- Place the fillets on the baking sheet.
- Spoon 15-30 ml (1-2 Tbsp) of Salsa Verde onto each fillet.
- Place in the oven and bake.
(The following cooking times are for people who prefer their fish medium.) For thin fillets around 1¼ cm (1/2 inch) thick, bake for 10-12 minutes. For fillets around 2-3 cm (1- 1¼ inch) bake for 16 minutes. Fillets are done when the fish flakes easily and there is a consistent color throughout.
- Turn off the oven and let rest for 2-3 minutes in the oven.
- Serve and enjoy!